Mission and Vision
Independent Advocacy in the Tropics Inc. is a community-based organisation delivering independent advocacy to empower people.
A world of equity, justice, choice, and control.
Respect, Trust, Honesty, Integrity, Dignity.
- To provide solutions through the application of advocacy principles, to enable people with disability to redress unjust circumstances, and to make positive and equitable changes for a quality life;
- To provide confidential and high-quality advocacy that strives for people with disability to achieve personal goals without harmful effect;
- To analyse critically and respond to community attitudes, practices and service models that create dependency and segregation from the community and that impact negatively on people with disability;
- To support individual advocacy in ways that are creative, responsive and flexible; and
- To undertake systemic advocacy that pro-actively and assertively seeks to influence positive change to policies and procedures that affects the lives of people with disability.
What we believe
IATI believes all people have the right to:
- Be treated with respect and dignity
- Be valued as individuals
- Participate in the decisions and choices that effect their lives
- Be involved in and contribute to their community
- Safety and protection from abuse, neglect and exploitation
- Live the life they choose
Position & Goals
To enable IATI to protect, defend and promote the best interests of vulnerable people with disability, it needs to actively raise awareness and develop networks about its role and function within its local communities by:
- developing and presenting advocacy (including self-advocacy) workshops and presentations;
- attend community events and forums that offer an opportunity to network with different relevant groups;
- develop resources for culturally and linguistically diverse community groups; and
- specifically educate the community with information targeted to those people most vulnerable and isolated within our community.