You and the NDIS
NDIS and Advocacy
At the present time, Disability Advocacy is not covered under the NDIS. So where you will you go for Advocacy? Independent Advocacy in the Tropics Inc trading as Independent Advocacy Townsville continue to provide a FREE Advocacy service to those with a disability under various Federal and State block funding arrangements. This means that we can attend planning meetings or just help you understand what the planning process is all about. If you have a complaint we can assist you with that as well.
(13) The role of advocacy in representing the interests of people with disability is to be
acknowledged and respected, recognising that advocacy supports people with
* promoting their independence and social and economic participation; and
* promoting choice and control in pursuit of their goals and the planning and delivery of
their supports; and
* maximising independent lifestyles of people with disability and their full inclusion in the
National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP)
There are a range of supports available to assist you with decision making. The National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP) is one of these. The NDAP can help you with general access and support issues. The NDAP can also assist you with issues that may arise with the National Disability Insurance Scheme or with your support providers. The NDAP can also help you to develop self-advocacy skills.
The NDAP can:
- help you to build capacity to identify your needs and goals
- ensure that you understand your rights and responsibilities
- make sure that you understand your decisions and how they will affect your life
- provide support with reviews. For example, if a decision is made that you disagree with, you can request a review of that decision. In these instances the NDAP can help you participate in the review process. The NDAP can also put you in contact with a support person if you are seeking a review of a NDIS decision in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).
As a funded NDAP organisation, Independent Advocacy in the Tropics Inc, is able to provide Advocacy support through the NDIS process in our funded regions of:
> Burdekin Shire
> Cassowary Coast Region
> Charters Towers Region
> Flinders Shire
> Hinchinbrook Shire
> Mackay / Isaac / Whitsunday Regions (NDIS Appeals only)
> Palm Island Shire
Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services:
Advocacy Program - North Queensland Region
As we receive advocacy funding under this State Goverment department, we can also provide support to the greater North Queensland region for NDIS assistance (apart from NDIS Appeals).